Chapter 13: Home? I think so.

The rest of that night was spent in settling down, arranging the bare minimum stuff that we brought along with us, and exploring the house in general. Each of us had a room assigned to us, and I got a place on the second floor. It was cozy and consisted of a bed, a small table that lightened up to the touch, and an AutoCharge bedside table. Everything in this room was overpriced, and it stunned me how they afforded this much. 
After such a long journey, all of us were happy to finally be at a safe place, where we would not have to be in constant fear of discovery by authorities. Me and JT decided to watch a movie after dinner, and it turned out that 5 minutes into the film, JT was sleeping peacefully. I closed my eyes after dimming the lights, and just as I covered myself with a blanket, Zizi came in and stood there, watching us. My insides went all mushy, and I was trying to act like I was fast asleep, while keeping my brain cells in check. 
After about 5 minutes, I gave up and willed myself to sleep, everything in me shutting down, one by one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day we woke up to the delicious smell of spiced bread and falafel. For a minute, I wondered if my mom had tracked me down and offered to be the cook of the house (I was wrong, though). 
I pulled the curtains and stretched, sunlight streaming down my face. JT was snoring peacefully, and I tapped him on the head. He woke up with a start and looked at me, drool rolling down his lips. I laughed, and he wiped it away, wearily and made his way to the bathroom. 

I went down the stairs following the delicious smell, and it led me straight to the dining room, where most of them sat around a mahogany table, with smiles on their lips.

Zizi clapped her hands, and a thing that looked like an oven with wings flew into the room. It heaped falafels Zizi's plate, then drizzled hummus and finally whipped 3 pieces of bread into the air, which landed swiftly on her plate.
I watched, amazed, as it went and repeated this all along the table and finally it came over to me. The falafels were super crispy on the outside and super soft on the inside; a perfect falafel. The hummus was neither too watery nor too thick and the bread was so perfectly grilled that it looked like Zizi had ordered them from Arabia. 

I enjoyed breakfast like it was my last meal. Never had I tasted such good Arabic food after leaving Arabia. This was indeed a blessing. The falafels went chom-chomp through everyone; it looked like there was an endless supply. After about 30 minutes of eating, I took a sigh of happiness and everybody laughed.(I don't usually make sounds so it was weird). 

All of us, pleased with our host's welcome, thanked her merrily and then I decided to go up and talk to my mom. 







Comments

Popular Posts