Chapter 9: The War Begins😮



The next morning, Friday the first of January, I woke up listening to the loud snores of JT. I smoothly exited the house, as quiet as a mouse and walked up the hill home. As I neared home, I wondered why I didn't smell the wonderful smells of my mother's routine Friday breakfast, sizzling falafels with hummus and khubz. The nearer I reached, the more suspicious and I got. As I pressed my forehead against the scanner, my tummy rumbled with hunger. As soon as the door opened, I caught a glance of my Mom's dishevelled hair peeking out of the sofa corner. I wondered, anxiously, why she wasn't cooking breakfast. As I moved forward, I saw our outdated MediaScreen playing some news; planes tearing down, missiles killing people and I wondered WHAT WAS GOING ON????!!!!!

I grabbed my InvisiBeats, pulled it over my ears, and then changed the channel from Arabic Newz to National News Network. Here was what I saw, and IT SENT AN SHOCK THROUGH ME!!:

'America at war with N.Korea,' and 'New Year Eve Peace conference unsuccessful,'

I gaped at the screen and then tuned in for the full news report:

'Last night's anticipated peace conference went down, in a significant conflict between N.Korea, its allies, and the United States. The tension was already in the room when an unidentified source interrupted the meeting by inserting an audio clip, that stated the proposed dates of a nuclear invasion on America by N.Korea. The audio then abruptly ended, and then proof came up on the screen. Officials from the N.Korean side immediately rushed in and shut down the program.
A trembling president then screamed at the N.Korean leader who kept quiet and didn't deny anything. Secret Service then stormed in, and both leaders disappeared. An hour later, both Boston and Washington were hit by missiles. The Department Of Defence officially declared war on N.Korea, and it has been advising all citizens to stay at home and keep a low profile. It has also stated that those in having any connection with this information will be given a death sentence.
 Those in need of anything urgent are advised to call 911 to receive assistance.'

Then news report ended, and my head swivelled around to Mom, who was still snoring peacefully.
I wondered what to do and almost reached over to call the gang, but then decided against it. A chime shattered through my ears, and I discovered that I had received a text. I fumbled around nervously for the phone and then saw it:

Kat: Hurry up and pack a bag of essentials! Coming for all of you NOW! No QUESTIONS!.
Tay: What?????!!!!
JT: Just do it, yo
Miguel: Oh-Oh!!!

I didn't reply to any of this, but immediately packed a bag and slung it over my shoulder. I also took a packet of crisps, a soda and a bottle of water.
At six, on the dot, a loud honk woke me up from my nap. I looked over my shoulder to find that Mum wasn't there, and I decided to slip out without her knowledge.

As I reached the doorstep, I saw a HUGE military truck waiting out there, and for a split-second, I thought my fate was sealed. But, then out swung Taylor in all cam clothes and I sprinted over and gave her a half-hearted Hi-Fi. She grinned and then slung back through the window. I got in, signed hi to everyone and then looked around at them all, and (surprisingly) they were all very calm. My blood boiled to see them like this, and then I got it: I was a beginner at this.😁

Comments

Popular Posts