Chapter 8: My First Job

As the days turned into weeks and weeks into months, I perfected the art of hacking and I was let in to do my first job. The gang liked me being with 'em and we got on pretty well with each other.
Now, I had told you at the beginning of the book that I never used to actually go to school, and IF I did I just slept during class. WELL, now I saw that neither did the gang actually attend school!! They had subscribed to an online school and just sent their virtual self's to attend class. All they did was sit back and enjoy using the money they earned from hacking. And it ACTUALLY gave them grades and scores and stuff!!

OK, so now I had to beg my mom a MILLION times to allow me to join their school. After a lot of pestering, she finally gave in to my wish. The ONE and ONLY condition (as usual), was that I had to improve and excel in my studies. As soon as she said so, I scampered up to my room, and set my virtual self's standard to "Rising Student". To be honest, it's pretty neat and impresses MOM a lot, and she treats me a way lot better these days.

----------------------------------------------------------------

OK, now. Fast forward a couple of uneventful weeks and there I was, at Taylor's New Year Eve Party, the first one that I had actually ever attended. Once I was there, I helped out to set up the dinner table and listened to the rest of their conversations, and signed a couple of responses and stuff.
Just as we began eating, Taylor's RazerTop (a phone), started ringing. RazerTop highlights whoever calls you and tells you whether you know 'em or no. SO, when her phone displayed, UNKNOWN CALLER, a sense of panic filled the room. Don't get why? Here's the answer: Hackers aren't contacted by anyone, and I mean ANYONE when they aren't on the official work schedule.

So, a trembling Taylor, reached over, then, and grabbed the phone. She accepted the call and then came out the smooth voice of a Spaniard, speaking with a heavy accent. We listened to his voice, anxiously.
'Hello, Miss Taylor. My name is.....uh...Juan and I have come to you with a request. I know that you are on holiday, but this is VITAL. This information can be the do-or-die statement for tonight's yearly peace conference, in Japan. Can you please help me?' He paused for a second and then asked in a more pleading voice, 'Please Miss Taylor, this is very urgent.'

Taylor paused for a second and looked around at us. All of us shrugged and Taylor the said into the microphone, 'How much will you give us?'

There was a scuffle at the other end and then the voice called back, '20000 dollars at the maximum,'
Taylor then looked around at us, with a twinkle in her eye. I nodded my head so fast, I heard the joints creaking! This would be my FIRST EVER JOB!!!!!!!!!!

The rest of the conversation wasn't heard by any of us as all of us were scrambling to get out our GlassTops. I popped open my GlassTop and then began to help JT and Miguel with their work. Taylor quickly put the phone down and then began to do some calculations in her head. Meanwhile, Kat changed our IP addresses, a safety protocol measure that we always took.
Apparently, the information Juan wanted was the planned dates of the nuclear invasion by the N.Korean's to America. When Taylor asked him why this would be needed for a PEACE conference, he just dismissed the question.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of hours later, that day, we were done with our work and the planned dates of the invasion was submitted to him after he paid us. We were giddy with glee at having this much cash, but Taylor said that nothing would be given to us, until tomorrow. All of us, exhausted, plopped down on whatever place we could find; the couch, the sleeping bed and so on.


Comments

Popular Posts